News & Media
Below are stories and news items about Providence Day School and/or the PDS community that originated from the school or have appeared in various media outlets.
Providence Day Hosts Network of Complementary Schools Conference
Posted 07/07/2017 11:43AM
Providence Day School is hosting the annual conference of the Network of Complementary Schools.
Representatives from 10 member schools across the United States are taking part in the conference held on the PDS campus July 11-13.
The annual conferences allows participants to have first-hand experiences with the host school and its surrounding community, as well as to maintain their relationships with one another that facilitate successful exchanges.
During this month's conference, attendees also will participate in a number of activities at local attractions around Charlotte.
PDS is a member of the Network of Complementary Schools, an organization of public and private schools in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico that organizes and sponsors individual student and faculty exchanges among member schools.
Dr. Glyn Cowlishaw, PDS Head of School, serves on the Network’s board along with Upper School learning specialist Shelley Mikszan, who also serves as PDS’s Network advisor along with Global Education Associate Director Katie Kirkland and Upper School English teacher Jordan Benoit.
Through the Network, a number of PDS students and faculty have visited member schools and taken part in learning experiences across the country since 2014.
- Samantha Del Vecchio ’15 visted Emma Willard School in Troy, NY, where she attended classes and completed a five-day internship with the New York State Legislature.
- Molly Kral ’17 visited Calhoun School in New York City’s Upper West Side, where she worked on an independent art project, which included her participating in photography classes, visiting museums and galleries, and photographing Fashion Week events around the city.
- Upper School learning specialist (and PDS’s Network of Complementary Schools advisor) Shelley Mikszan has visited Commonwealth-Parkville High School in Puerto Rico, Bentley School in California, Putney School in Vermont and Community High School in Virginia.
- Upper School history teacher Jennifer Mann visited Kincaid School in Texas.
- Diversity and Multicultural Education Executive Director Nadia Johnson, Multicultural Affairs Director Danielle Ferguson and Social Responsibility Director Joe Canty visited Calhoun School in New York.
- Head Librarian Nicole Collins and Visual Arts teacher Chris Wallace visited Rock Point Community School in Arizona.
- Upper School history teacher Dr. Jennifer Bratyanski also will visit Rock Point Community School and another school in Arizona to study Native American peoples as part of PDS’s Global Educator Certificate (GEC) program.
The GEC offers teachers opportunities to learn firsthand about other cultures and then share their experiences with students and PDS community.