On Campus August 2021-May 2022
Dear Charger Families:
We are thankful for your support over the past two years. It was the entire PD Community working together that enabled us to return all students to campus in April 2021. We were able to watch our Lower School students enthusiastically participate in Field Day; enjoy our outdoor Upper School musical and Middle School and Upper School performing arts concerts; take home the Wells Fargo Cup; and celebrate with our Class of 2021 graduates.
Our updated on-campus health protocols are based on recommendations from our team of medical experts and agencies including the North Carolina Health Department.
As always, our primary goal is the health and safety of our students and employees. As we demonstrated last year, working together we can keep your children and our community healthy and safe. This school year, we have the added protection of vaccination along with masking, distancing, and enhanced ventilation and cleaning measures.
Below, you will find our updated protocols. Keep scrolling to see our Frequently Asked Questions. And please bookmark this page to check for updates throughout the year - we'll keep in close touch.
Thank you for being a part of the Charger family - and as always, please stay healthy and safe!
Dr. Glyn Cowlishaw
For any Division-specific questions, please use these contacts:
Erin Harper, Head of Lower School, email@example.com
Lee Tappy, Head of Middle School, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Hedinger, Head of Upper School, eric.hedinger@providenceday.
To contact the school nurses with any COVID-19 related report, please use this NEW COVID-19 reporting form to send information. You may also contact our Health Room Nurses at this link (for mobile users) or email BOTH email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
On-Campus Health and Safety Requirements
- Masks are required indoors for all students, faculty, staff, and guests for both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals and we are socially distancing whenever we can. No masks are required for anyone while outdoors. Masks are required for all vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals on buses. This is based on recommended layered mitigation strategies from our medical experts, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, and the CDC.
- The dining hall, servery, and Global Cafe are open. Physical distancing is maintained while dining. We continue to utilize our expanded outdoor dining space for all grade levels when weather permits. Please refer to your divisional letters in Charger Commons for detailed dining information.
- We have placed portable air purification systems in our indoor dining spaces. These are in addition to the ionization systems and MERV 11 filters added to our HVAC systems last year. All air filters were changed over the summer.
- High touch surfaces and restrooms are cleaned on a regular basis during the day as well as the nightly cleaning and disinfection of all spaces.
- Utilizing outdoor space for teaching & learning and opening classroom windows continues to be encouraged.
- Proper & frequent handwashing and proper respiratory etiquette is reinforced with signage. We continue to provide easy access to hand sanitizer.
- Students, faculty, staff, and guests are not allowed on campus when they are sick or showing symptoms of being sick. This helps prevent the spread of all illnesses. This policy is strictly enforced.
- All members of the PD community are required to report a positive COVID-19 case or possible exposure to our school nurses. Vaccinated students and employees are not required to quarantine. Our nurses, trained in contact tracing procedures via Johns Hopkins University, perform contact tracing to determine exposures based on the most recent CDC and NCDHHS guidelines.
- Our school community COVID-19 case reporting is available on Charger Commons. You can view reported cases by division on a regularly updated dashboard.
- NEW Q. My child has tested positive or been exposed to COVID-19, what do I do now?
- Q. When Do I Need to Keep my Child Home From School?
- Q. Is Remote Learning an option for my child (children) if I am not comfortable coming to campus?
- Q. Will my child need to wear a mask all day?
- Q. Do we need to complete a Daily Health Screening (Ascend?)
- Q. How will you monitor who is vaccinated and who is not vaccinated?
- Q. Will you require screening testing for unvaccinated employees?
- Q. How much physical distancing will be maintained between students?
- Q. Will there still be a plexi-glass barrier on my child's desk?
- Q. How will you communicate positive Covid cases on campus?
- Q. How many people will need to be quarantined once we determine a positive test has occurred?
- Q. Do student-athletes need to wear masks?
- Q. Will my student be able to fully participate in their performing arts program?
- Q. Will students be traveling on class trips, field trips, tournaments and competitions?
- Q. Are there any changes to my child's daily morning and afternoon bus ride?
- Q. Will Extended Day offer after school Enrichment Programs?
- Q. Will families that travel overseas or out of state be required to quarantine or provide a negative PCR test before returning to campus?
- Q. Are you going to offer another vaccination clinic on campus?