Back to Campus August 2021
Dear Charger Families:
We are so excited to start the 2021-22 school year! We are thankful for your support over the past year. It was the entire PD Community working together that enabled us to return all students to campus in April. We were able to watch our Lower School students enthusiastically participate in Field Day; enjoy our outdoor Upper School musical and Middle School and Upper School performing arts concerts; take home the Wells Fargo Cup; and celebrate with our Class of 2021 graduates.
We are ready now to share updated on-campus health protocols, which are based on recommendations from our team of medical experts and agencies including the North Carolina Health Department.
As always, our primary goal is the health and safety of our students and employees. We expect that there will be positive COVID-19 cases in our school community. As we demonstrated last year, working together we can keep your children and our community healthy and safe. This year we have the added protection of vaccination along with masking, distancing, and enhanced ventilation and cleaning measures.
Below, you will find our updated protocols. Keep scrolling to see our Frequently Asked Questions. And please bookmark this page to check for updates throughout the year - we'll keep in close touch.
Thank you for being a part of the Charger family - and as always, please stay healthy and safe!
Dr. Glyn Cowlishaw
For any Division-specific questions, please use these contacts:
Jenny Tucker, Assistant Head of Lower School, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lee Tappy, Head of Middle School, email@example.com
Eric Hedinger, Head of Upper School, eric.hedinger@providenceday.
Or please contact our Health Room Nurses at this link (for mobile users) or email BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
On-Campus Health and Safety Requirements
- Masks are required indoors for all students, faculty, staff, and guests for both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals and we will be socially distancing whenever we can. No masks are required for anyone while outdoors. Masks will be required for all vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals on buses. This is based on recommended layered mitigation strategies from our medical experts, the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, and the CDC.
- The dining hall, servery, and Global Cafe will be open. Physical distancing will be maintained while dining. We will continue to utilize our expanded outdoor dining space for all grade levels. Please refer to your divisional letters in Charger Commons for detailed dining information.
- We have placed portable air purification systems in our indoor dining spaces. These are in addition to the ionization systems and MERV 11 filters added to our HVAC systems last year. All air filters were changed over the summer.
- High touch surfaces and restrooms will be cleaned on a regular basis during the day as well as the nightly cleaning and disinfection of all spaces.
- Utilizing outdoor space for teaching & learning and opening classroom windows will continue to be encouraged.
- Proper & frequent handwashing and proper respiratory etiquette will be reinforced with signage. We will continue to provide easy access to hand sanitizer.
- Students, faculty, staff, and guests will not be allowed on campus when they are sick or showing symptoms of being sick. This helps prevent the spread of all illnesses. This policy will be strictly enforced.
- All members of the PD community are required to report a positive COVID-19 case or possible exposure to our school nurses. Vaccinated students and employees will not be required to quarantine. Our nurses, trained in contact tracing procedures via Johns Hopkins University, will perform contact tracing to determine who will need to quarantine based on the most recent CDC guidelines.
- Our school community COVID-19 case reporting will be available on Charger Commons. You will be able to view reported cases by division on a regularly updated dashboard.
- Q. When Do I Need to Keep my Child Home From School?
- Q. Is Remote Learning an option for my child (children) if I am not comfortable coming to campus?
- Q. Will my child need to wear a mask all day?
- Q. What is PD's View on Wearing Masks?
- Q. Do we need to complete a Daily Health Screening (Ascend?)
- Q. How will you monitor who is vaccinated and who is not vaccinated?
- Q. Will you require screening testing for unvaccinated employees?
- Q. How much physical distancing will be maintained between students?
- Q. Will there still be a plexi-glass barrier on my child's desk?
- Q. How will you communicate positive Covid cases on campus?
- Q. How many people will need to be quarantined once we determine a positive test has occurred?
- Q. Do student-athletes need to wear masks?
- Q. Will my student be able to fully participate in their performing arts program?
- Q. Will students be traveling on class trips, field trips, tournaments and competitions?
- Q. Are there any changes to my child's daily morning and afternoon bus ride?
- Q. Will Extended Day offer after school Enrichment Programs?
- Q. Will families that travel overseas or out of state be required to quarantine or provide a negative PCR test before returning to campus?
- Q. Are you going to offer another vaccination clinic on campus?